MFA Setup Guide (for Mobile Devices)
Step 1 - Activate
(a) Use these steps if you see this screen:
On the "Step 1: How should we contact you?" Select Mobile App from the drop down menu.
(b) Use these steps if you see this screen:
In the drop down box under What's your preferred option, choose Notify me through app.
Check the box for Authenticator app or Token, and then click Set up Authenticator app.
You should get to the Configure Mobile app screen that resembles the screenshot below. If so, proceed to the following next step.
Step 2 - Add Account to Microsoft Authenticator
- Visit the App store or Google Play store and download the Microsoft Authenticator on your cell phone.
- Open the Microsoft Authenticator app on your phone.
- Tap the + > Work or school account.
- Since we are using the phone we can't have it take a picture of what is on the screen, you will need to copy the 9 digit code and URL listed beneath the QR image.
- Click on the "Or Enter Code Manually" at the bottom of the screen.
- You can hold on the text itself to copy and paste it back in the Authenticator app or you can type it back in after you have written it down. This is a one time code and password but should still be deleted/destroyed after you finish.
Android phones will get a permission prompt to allow the app to use the camera.
iPhone users may have to enable the camera in Settings in order to scan.
Your account will be added automatically to the app and when it displays a 6 digit code with a timer that means it has been successful.
Step 3 - Confirm Activation Status on Your Computer
- Switch back to your browser or mail app and click Next.
- Now wait for the Checking activation status text to finish configuring your phone.
- When it's complete, you'll be able to click the blue Next button on the right.
Note: If configuration fails, delete the account from your Microsoft Authenticator app and try the setup again.
Step 4 - Approve Sign-in on Your Phone
- Switch back to your phone and you'll see a notification.
- Go to the Microsoft Authenticator app.
- Tap Approve to allow it.
Step 5 - Finish Setup
- Enter in your mobile phone number and select Next.
- This will be used as a secondary method it can use to authenticate in case the app isn't working or you replace your cell phone.
- You can ignore the part about the App Password as it is for very specific circumstances that will not apply to most setups. Click Done/Finish.
- You're good to go!
From now on, whenever you have a new sign in or add your Microsoft 365 work or school account to an app, you'll open the Authenticator app on your phone and tap Approve.
For applications like Teams/Outlook/OneDrive you will get the prompt to sign in again. This should only happen after a password change or if you are doing it on a computer for the first time.
If you have any issues please contact us at email@example.com or you can reach us at (502) 585-9669